Have you recently gotten a jump on spring cleaning and cleared out and organzied an area in your home?
- Did you work on your office and set up systems for your receipts and paperwork after the taxes were filed?
- Maybe you tackled that storage area that has been bugging you for a while.
- What about the bathroom pantry where you just cleaned up all those lotions and potions?
Wherever it is you should proud of the hard work. Now you need a plan keep it that way so it doesn’t go back to the chaos it was.
Having a maintenance plan is so important to keeping your space and your things organized. This is a process…it does’t just occur by happenstance.
Here are 10 things you can do to keep your space organized.
- Clean as you go: Take something out, use it, and when you are done put it away.
- “A Place for Everything….”. Yes this is my favorite quote. If there is a place for everything it is easier to put away…AND to find later when you need it.
- Create Routines: Repeat the same practices daily or weekly so that putting things away becomes routine. You want to act without having to think about it all that much.
- Make it easy to de-clutter: Have donation bags or boxes always available so you can drop items in them at any time.
- Sort incoming mail daily with a commitment to recycle junk mail immediately.
- Make good decisions. Indecisiveness leads to clutter.
- One In-One Out rule. This goes for everything!
- Make the bed everyday and do the dishes before you settle down for the evening. This sets the tone for an organized home.
- File instead of pile. Piles are just clutter. Files are organized systems for managing paper.
- Set some clean up time daily. As little as 15 minutes a day can keep you on track for a tidy space.
This is your maintenance program. Commit to practicing these 10 things and you will keep you organized space!